Rambling On...

Tuesday, April 08, 2003

Strange Phobias

One of my managers today shared with us over lunch, that she's had a lifelong phobia against buttons...buttons of all things to be afraid of! It's been difficult to cope with since all her nursing uniforms have always had buttons, but she says she manages to cope by doing and undoing her buttons by holding them through the material.

Anyone know what this particular phobia is called?

Self-inflicted Misery

Of my own free will this afternoon, I took myself to the medical centre at the front of the hospital and got myself jabbed, not once, but twice - first for a flu vaccine and the second as a result of the following conversation with the doctor, who happens to be an ex-colleague of mine:

NN: Wow, you've got two large water bottles there...
CC: Yeah, I've been drinking lots of water lately. i left one at work the other day, so I brought another one today, and I'm bringing the other one home too...(Thinking to myself "D'oh! Dumb thing to say! Now he's going to want to jab me again and do my BSL!")
NN: ...and weeing alot? Could you be diabetic?
CC: Well of course! But it's not diabetes! It was a conscious decision to drink more water instead of caffeine.
NN: Have you done your own BSL lately?
CC: Ummm, not for ages.
NN: Well, maybe we should do that today too since you haven't done one for so long?
CC: Oh, ok!

Well, that'll teach me to bring any drink bottles with me to the doctor's! He jabbed my finger, which, of course, hurt and of course, my BSL was normal, and I could say "I told you so!" and then he jabbed me again on the same limb with the flu vax! Yow! Now my arm aches, and I'd like some cold and flu tablets! Talk about a quick reaction! *Argh!*