New Experiences
A colleague and I decided to do something together on our day off, so today, we drove to the blood bank in the city to give blood. I've been considering it for several years now (it would be a bit weird if I hadn't, I suppose, since I am in a profession where we GIVE blood transfusions!) but didn't think they'd take my blood, and prior to today, hadn't bothered to find out. I was half right. They took blood from me to test it today to make sure that I'm ok and well enough before they let me, since I was so sick when I was 13. I should get the all clear by mail in a few weeks! Meanwhile, Zoë went and donated plasma because she's been to Africa, so they won't take the rest of her blood components. So, each time she donates, they connect her to a cell separator machine so that everything but her plasma gets put back into her vein. Technology will never cease to amaze me.
A colleague and I decided to do something together on our day off, so today, we drove to the blood bank in the city to give blood. I've been considering it for several years now (it would be a bit weird if I hadn't, I suppose, since I am in a profession where we GIVE blood transfusions!) but didn't think they'd take my blood, and prior to today, hadn't bothered to find out. I was half right. They took blood from me to test it today to make sure that I'm ok and well enough before they let me, since I was so sick when I was 13. I should get the all clear by mail in a few weeks! Meanwhile, Zoë went and donated plasma because she's been to Africa, so they won't take the rest of her blood components. So, each time she donates, they connect her to a cell separator machine so that everything but her plasma gets put back into her vein. Technology will never cease to amaze me.
