Rambling On...

Monday, February 03, 2003

Follow The Leader

After dragging myself around the dungeon of the ED today (yes, our Emergency Dept. has a section affectionately known as "The Dungeon"), I thought I'd come home and continue reflecting on my weekend away at our church's leaders retreat. I found the weekend to be really refreshing, and to be perfectly honest, a swift kick up the backside. A great speaker in the form of Allan Webb spoke with enthusiasm and fire on what it means to be a person in ministry leadership and the practical aspects of how to I found myself being so challenged that I began to wonder what the reasons were for me not to have attended last year when I was leading and was really glad I was there this year even though I'm not formally leading in any ministry this year.

Ok, this is what I've been encouraged and challenged by:
  • To be a way-treader and not a way-pointer - We should lead by example, as we're following in the steps of Jesus, the greatest Servant and the greatest Leader.

  • To not just look on from the sidelines and direct but to lead by example. Not to just ride along behind and drive people forward but to get out in front and show the way.

  • Servanthood is the hallmark of leadership. Jesus, during his ministry on earth spoke more about servanthood than he did about leadership. But more than just speaking about it, he showed us how to serve in the right spirit with humility, and the right motive (not for your own glory or reward, but God's), and in the right manner, (as godly example, not dictator) eg. Jesus washing His disciples' feet.

  • It is not a prize, but a responsibility. It is therefore not to be sought, but to be accepted.

  • We are therefore bondservants of Jesus, shown in the way we serve one another. This is a radical idea as opposed to a hired servant who gets paid, and has rights and privileges as an employee vs. one who has no rights or freedom and doesn't get paid.

    • leaders/bondservants can expect one thing after another to be piled onto them
    • bondservants can expect to receive no praise or thanks
    • expect to be imposed upon and taken advantage of

    because we are to serve one another with the right motive to please God, not people and with humility.
  • Effective godly leadership must always begin with effective faithful followership. The reminder and challenge that Jesus' first and last words to his disciple Peter were "follow me."
  • We must first learn to be a faithful follower of Jesus. God searches for leaders who have the heart to follow Him.
  • Leadership is a temporary assignment. Followership is a lifelong calling.
  • Qualities of a Godly Leader:
    Wholeheartedness

    Singlemindedness

    Visionary in faith
  • The challenge to end well, as it is easier to start well than end well. Finishing well is a hallmark of salvation.
  • Leaders ending well have:
    learning posture (are always learning)

    personal perspective

    personal renewal

    mentoring

    personal philosophy of ministry