Flying furballs - Can you feel another rant coming on?
I set the first trap yesterday afternoon and caught a cat within 20 minutes! It liked tuna. And wow was he vicious! He was as feral as they come. We took him to the RSPCA, and of course, they told us that strays are the responsibility of the local council, whereas the local council, of course had tried to pass the buck when I went to pick the trap up in the first place by telling me that the local pound doesn't put cats down anymore because they don't want to acidentally put down someone's domestic pet, so please take it to the RSPCA! Now I can't help but feel like I'm doing the council's job for them. The girl at the RSPCA rolled her eyes in exasperation when I told her that I physically went to the council chambers to pick the trap up myself. Her reply to that was that the council are meant to be the ones setting the traps. They are then to come back and pick the cat up when it's caught. They are then meant to take it to their own pound to be put down - not the RSPCA. Ugh!
The trap was set again when we got home yesterday, but there were no takers for the bait until about 9 tonight. The council was rung, all the right things were demanded of them, we were firm, there was a loud Christmas party we could hear in the background. No, they can't come out to pick the cat up tonight, please ring again at 8:30 tomorrow morning, and we'll arrange for someone to come out and pick it up then! (I was out)When I got home, I found the cat in the trap, with her ginger mate keeping her company. It's very cute, how loyal this ginger cat is; he won't leave her side, and it's quite sad really, that they're now separated by bars... Oh yeah, I don't like cats... and that's when I saw yet ANOTHER cat that we didn't know about before hurrying away out of sight through the fence! Ugh! This is getting ridiculous! I rang the council again, and heard the party in the background myself. I was annoyed at the first response, so I thought I'd ring again and cite some legislation at them so that they'd come, but it turns out that the person who answered the phone is this woman with a very deep voice (who I initally thought was male the other day) who physically handed the trap to me yesterday, and addressed me by name when she answered the phone! She then told me that they don't have rangers on duty at this time of the night! Yeah right! Oh, and people usually trap the cats during the DAY so that we can come out and pick them up then..... right. So can I help it if the cat won't take the bait til 9 at night????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She then suggested that I let the cat loose tonight and recatch it tomorrow! She must be mad! They're meant to be a 24 hour service! And I have seen rangers around at this time of the night. What a load of bollocks! There's no reason not to leave the trap out at night! The faster they're caught the better! So now, I've moved the cat to the back of the yard (her ginger mate followed me, and is now keeping her company!) so that their anticipated noises of protest won't be as loud and I'm thinking I should invoice the council for my services, and for doing their job for them!
I set the first trap yesterday afternoon and caught a cat within 20 minutes! It liked tuna. And wow was he vicious! He was as feral as they come. We took him to the RSPCA, and of course, they told us that strays are the responsibility of the local council, whereas the local council, of course had tried to pass the buck when I went to pick the trap up in the first place by telling me that the local pound doesn't put cats down anymore because they don't want to acidentally put down someone's domestic pet, so please take it to the RSPCA! Now I can't help but feel like I'm doing the council's job for them. The girl at the RSPCA rolled her eyes in exasperation when I told her that I physically went to the council chambers to pick the trap up myself. Her reply to that was that the council are meant to be the ones setting the traps. They are then to come back and pick the cat up when it's caught. They are then meant to take it to their own pound to be put down - not the RSPCA. Ugh!
The trap was set again when we got home yesterday, but there were no takers for the bait until about 9 tonight. The council was rung, all the right things were demanded of them, we were firm, there was a loud Christmas party we could hear in the background. No, they can't come out to pick the cat up tonight, please ring again at 8:30 tomorrow morning, and we'll arrange for someone to come out and pick it up then! (I was out)When I got home, I found the cat in the trap, with her ginger mate keeping her company. It's very cute, how loyal this ginger cat is; he won't leave her side, and it's quite sad really, that they're now separated by bars... Oh yeah, I don't like cats... and that's when I saw yet ANOTHER cat that we didn't know about before hurrying away out of sight through the fence! Ugh! This is getting ridiculous! I rang the council again, and heard the party in the background myself. I was annoyed at the first response, so I thought I'd ring again and cite some legislation at them so that they'd come, but it turns out that the person who answered the phone is this woman with a very deep voice (who I initally thought was male the other day) who physically handed the trap to me yesterday, and addressed me by name when she answered the phone! She then told me that they don't have rangers on duty at this time of the night! Yeah right! Oh, and people usually trap the cats during the DAY so that we can come out and pick them up then..... right. So can I help it if the cat won't take the bait til 9 at night????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She then suggested that I let the cat loose tonight and recatch it tomorrow! She must be mad! They're meant to be a 24 hour service! And I have seen rangers around at this time of the night. What a load of bollocks! There's no reason not to leave the trap out at night! The faster they're caught the better! So now, I've moved the cat to the back of the yard (her ginger mate followed me, and is now keeping her company!) so that their anticipated noises of protest won't be as loud and I'm thinking I should invoice the council for my services, and for doing their job for them!
