Rambling On...

Saturday, March 11, 2006

Relativity

Has Hong Kong ever been called the city that never sleeps? I know NY is, but if not, Hong Kong should also be known as the same. Is it because we're on holiday? My bed time here on average has been 1am. Last night I had had so much chinese tea to drink before and after dinner that I still didn't feel tired and stayed up til 2 reading.

I've been wondering what my life would be like if my parents had not migrated to Australia. Would I be finishing work every night at 9pm? Eating out every night? Working six days a week? Crossing the border and going over to China for business, for meetings?

I can't believe how many relatives we have over here as well. With Mum's side, plus Dad's side, I'm sure there are well over 40 cousins, aunties, uncles, nephews, nieces, grandma, great this and that here, all of whom I don't know well at all, but they all seem to remember me from when I was a toddler (my older cousins upwards, of course).

We had dinner with my dad's side of the family tonight. I met my cousin's 4 year old daughter for the first time today. She reminds me and some of my uncles and aunts of me when I used to live here. I took her for a walk around the shopping centre that the restaurant was in. We walked into one of those stationery shops typically filled with Hello Kitty stuff and the like and I bought her 2 stamps - one of Belle from Beauty and the Beast and the other of Minnie Mouse. It made her day. Kids are so easy to please. She now has a new favourite aunt. Charmaine is an example of what I've missed living so far away.