Rambling On...

Wednesday, December 11, 2002

Strange Days

What's with the weather lately? None of my friends seem to have bothered blogging about it lately, but one day it's a heat wave, and the next, it's a cold snap. It only got to a maximum of 18ºC yesterday in good old Sydney Town, and it was only 13.2ºC at about 7pm last night. Plus the rain! What a godsend! It rained so heavily last night that it woke me up at 2:30am, and now it's cleared up. What a great day for a funeral. At least we weren't all drenched in the rain.

Yup, you read right. It took me ages to decide whether to go or not, but in the end I decided that I had to be there. She and I first met when she was my patient. It was one of those afternoon shifts where we just played musical beds all night. There were a total of 4 single rooms, 3 of which had female patients in them. One of the four-bedded bays had a lady in it, and Emergency was flatout, and needed a male bed, So, we had to shift the 3 ladies in the single rooms all into the four-bedded bay to make the male bed. The four women became friends straight away. (This is probably the most boring thing you've ever read, but I'm really only rambling on like this for the benefit of my memory of this lady.) It's not surprising, really, as Diane became friends with anyone she met. She did heaps of volunteer work and had a huge network of friends. It's the biggest funeral I've ever been to. Standing room only. Part of the reason for my going today, other than to say goodbye, was to see what sort of funeral she'd have. I was saddened by the fact that she was a non-Christian, and that I will never see her again, and what saddens me even more is that non-Christian funerals always seem so hopeful, that they'll see the daparted one again in heaven, when that is so far from the Truth. But the biggest thing though, is the regret I feel that I didn't have an opportunity to share the gospel with her all those years I knew her.

After the funeral, I drove up north to have afternoon tea and a walk to the park with Laura and Rebekah, just what I needed to cheer me up!